Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Wednesday Check-In

I've lost track of how much weight I've lost since my last Wednesday Check-In, since I haven't done it for a few weeks. I just know that I'm down a total of 38.5, with 42.5 to go.

Things have been slow in the weight loss department, but at least I haven't been gaining. In fact, I even managed to lose about .5 pound on our trip last week, which I'm particularly proud of since over our Memorial Day vacation, I gained 6 pounds in just 4 days.

The key for me on our trip was to be totally anal about my food and the kids'. I even went so far as to UPS a small box of our dry goods ahead since I knew they were things that we wouldn't be able to find easily once we got there. I had to be persistent with our hosts upon our arrival to make sure we got to Trader Joe's THAT DAY to get the milk, eggs, and produce that we needed for the week. I'm sure my relatives thought I was really obnoxious, but I was SO GLAD I was assertive (unusual for me) because it turns out that they have terrible eating habits--like not eating breakfast, eating a late lunch, and not getting around to dinner until hours after my kids are in bed--that would've had the kids and I starving, crabby, and grabbing anything and everything in sight.

I also had the foresight to bring our soft-sided cooler and cold packs, which we couldn't have survived without. I always had a baggie full of protein powder with me and my "shaker thing" so I never got myself into a bind. I only ate sugar on the last day and it was only a small amount and was with my protein shake.

I feel AWESOME about how and what the kids and I ate on our trip!

This week I am trying out what my husband has been pressing me to try for weeks. He lost 20 pounds in a blink of an eye (at least it seems that way) and is now down to a weight lower than he was when we met. He has been eating six "mini meals" (which is all the rage now, I know...), and that has worked great for him.

I was resisting because I hate food prep and being in the kitchen and I figured I would have to be in there TWICE as much with six meals, but then I realized that it was LUNCH that has been a major stumbling block for me. LUNCH is always where I hit the drive-thru. I hate eating LUNCH at home. I hate soup, salad, and sandwiches, which are typical LUNCH foods... so it occurred to me if I was doing six mini meals, there would be no actual LUNCH to eat! I can just have an apple, some almonds, and some cheese and be done with it (no real prep work!); or a turkey and cheese roll-up and some fruit; or a protein shake and some spelt pretzels and fruit. It's only been a few days, but DAMN has it been freeing for me so far!!

We'll see how it goes. I love that I feel like I'm always eating so I'm not ever worrying that I'm not getting Enough (another huge issue for me...).

To be continued...