Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Spark


She asked, "Have you ever thought of writing a book?"

I said it was funny that she should ask because I had given up on writing but yesterday, out of the blue, I had gotten a check in the mail for advertising from a blog that I had deleted five years ago. I had been wondering if it was a sign.

I told her I had given up my dream of being a writer after trying my hand at being a copywriter and a ghost writer, freelancing for small newspapers and pitching articles to magazines. I didn't like the politics and the rejection. I didn't like comparing myself to others and feeling I was always coming up short. I said I don't take criticism well.

She said that she liked hearing my stories. She said that if wrote down my stories the same way I tell them, she would definitely want to read my book. And I thought maybe that sounded good. Maybe that's what I could be: a storyteller.