Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday Check-In

I am down 1/2 pound this week.

I had much higher hopes, but I fell back into some bad habits this week.

For instance, we didn't eat any vegetables. Not any of us. Our vegetables sat and shriveled all week. In one week we went from eating tons of vegetables to no vegetables at all. We ate some fruit, but mostly we just drank smoothies and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and hard-boiled eggs without the yokes. And since Sunday we've been eating the neighbor's strawberries--tons of them.

I kept not doing anything I didn't feel like to the best of my ability this week. Unfortunately, that included not eating vegetables and not journaling my food as well as I have been for weeks. So it wasn't surprising that I ate a bunch of sugar this afternoon, which I haven't done for 3-4 weeks, I think. I felt disoriented and "fuzzy" and my arms and hands and knees were shaky for hours afterward. It was a good reminder that I need to get back to journaling faithfully if I want to stay on track. And I really want to stay on track. When I'm not on track I eat McDonald's a lot and spend a lot of money that we don't have.

I'm back on track as of dinner tonight.

We were back to our regular schedule of swimming and gymnastics and nature center programs and playdates this last week. That was hard for me. I had become so at peace with staying home and walking to parks and hanging out in the yard all afternoon and not driving the car for days.

I need to figure out how to get a balance between doing nothing and doing lots of things so I can stop using the imbalance as a "reason" to go to the drive-thru, even when I've packed my lunch and brought it along. I'm not sure how to do that yet... I'll start with going back to committing to journal my food every day for every meal as it happens--instead of trying to remember everything at the end of the day.

I ran when I wanted to and finished a great book and did a lot of writing this week. All of those things felt really good. This week I'll do more of those things and fewer of the things that sabotage what I really want.