Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wednesday Check-In

I am down two pounds this week.

Down 38 pounds; 43 pounds to goal.

I am feeling so much more at peace these days. There is so much less yelling and so much more sitting in the back yard enjoying the weather. We are driving very little and spending a lot less money. I am no longer stressed out and preoccupied with trying to figure out how to get my sugar fix(es) worked into each day.

This week I concentrated on just doing the things I wanted to do.

I wanted to journal my food because it helps me see where I got off track and where I felt bad so I don't have to (hopefully) make the same mistake next time.

I love to run so I ran when I felt like it because it felt good. No stopwatch, no intervals, no restrictions or goals; just me and my music (and no cell phone).

I wanted to "sleep in" (5:50 vs. 5:20, thanks to the kids) and do my mourning routine in a leisurely fashion; then stay home or walk to a park where the kids could play all morning.

I wanted to read or write in the evenings instead of racing around and checking things off my list of Things I Should Get Done, like my strength training DVD and yoga and laundry. I stayed up late reading or writing because I wanted to and didn't feel anxious or guilty about it.

I changed some things up this week that weren't working for me (besides doing what I felt like doing instead of my "shoulds"). I walked the dog separate from the kids every day, which is much more enjoyable for all of us, and he gets walked more consistently. I also changed my laundry pattern so that I am washing/drying at night and folding and putting away in the morning, instead of vice versa.

I finished a book this week that has totally turned my world upside down. Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes. I heard him speak on MPR several weeks ago and got the book from the library. Taubes is a science writer and what he had to say dovetailed beautifully with what I am already doing--both in nutrition and exercise. I loved the book, although it was a tough read since it is mostly discussion about research.

Life here is good.